Character Viewer is an independent app supplied by default with macOS operating system. You can use Character Viewer app to insert emoji, symbols and special characters on all macOS applications without changing the keyboard input method.
How to Open Character Viewer in Mac?
- Press “Command + Control + Space” keys together to open Character Viewer app in Mac. Alternatively, you can open the app by going to “Edit > Emoji & Symbols” menu when you are using any applications.
- Position the cursor where you want to insert the symbol and double click the symbol on Character Viewer app to insert that symbol.
Character Viewer Modes
By default, the app will open in a mini mode like below.
Click on the symbols icon on the top right corner to expand the app to full view mode.
Categories of Symbols Available
Below are the default categories of symbols available in Character Viewer app.
- Emoji (this category contains many sub-categories of emoji symbols)
- Bullets / Stars
- Currency Symbols
- Letterlike Symbols
- Math Symbols
Click on the gear icon on the top left and choose “Customize List…” to add more categories to the sidebar list.
Font Variation and Related Characters
Character Viewer in Mac has many advantages compared to Character Map in Windows.
- You can see the related characters to find relevant symbols.
- Multiple font variation to get the symbol variations.
- You can add the symbols to favorites by clicking on “Add to Favorites” button and quickly insert whenever needed.